One of the films that stands out as one of the most puzzling and mysterious of 2022 is God’s Crooked Lines.
It was directed by Oriol Paulo and was released on Netflix in December. Almost immediately after its release, it sparked a heated discussion among viewers on the possibility that the film depicts the truth.
The film is an adaptation of the book of the same name, which was first released in 1979 and written by a Spanish author named Torcuato Luca de Tena (the original title is Los renglones torcidos de Dios).
The conclusion of the movie, in contrast to that of the book, is left unresolved, which gives the viewer the opportunity to maintain their uncertainty and take either side of a contested interpretation of the truth.
God’s Crooked Lines (Netflix): Reviews
- The suspenseful film God’s Crooked Lines, which is adapted from Torcuato Luca de Tena’s book of the same name, will have you on the edge of your seat right up until the final scene is acted out.
- Alice Gould, a private investigator played by Barbara Lennie, checks herself into a mental hospital right at the start of the movie in order to investigate the circumstances behind the death of her client’s son, who was killed at the same facility.
- The environment is perfect for confusion and misunderstanding when no one’s mental abilities are functioning properly, which is something you might expect given the nature of the situation.
- And despite the fact that our main character is the one who views the events of the movie via her own perspective, as the story progresses, it gets harder and harder to believe what she says happened.
- By the time we reached the second half of the movie, I found myself asking who in the story could be trusted, and the answer is that no one can be trusted.
- Another factor that contributes to this mistrust is the era in which this movie is set. The events of the movie take place in 1979, a year in which women and those suffering from mental problems were viewed very differently.
- The movie is aware of this, and it raises the question of why some of the patients are even in the facility. They may be there because of their outward look, or it may be that they have problems deeper down.
- When we are at the hospital, we encounter a large cast of personalities, each of them is more colorful than the one before them and occasionally even comes off as caricatured.
- And although though Alice is without a doubt the most well-written character, I longed for some of the other characters to have the same level of complexity.
- While we are following Alice’s inquiries, the movie jumps back and forth in time to explain what occurred and how it took place. On the other hand, the execution of those time changes is not always foolproof.
- It was necessary for me to occasionally pause the movie in order to organize the timeline in my thoughts. On the other hand, they are not so random that you will be unable to follow the threads of the narrative that drive the plot.
- The book God’s Crooked Lines contains more than its fair number of plot holes, which detracts from the overall experience of being immersed in the story.
- And my interest began to wane when the pieces of the mystery weren’t fitting together as they should have in order to produce the perfect murder.
- On the other hand, there are plenty plot twists and turns in the movie to keep people interested throughout its entirety; in particular, the final sequence will leave you completely dumbfounded. In addition, I feel it necessary to draw attention to the cinematography and music that contribute to creating that immersive experience.
- The film is flawlessly made from a technical standpoint and is a feast for the viewer’s eyes.
Was Alice Suffering From Mental Illness?
In spite of the fact that the movie seems to be playing with the issue of whether or not Alice is healthy, the very last minute of the film reveals to us that Alice is not healthy at all.
It turned out that the individual she had misidentified as Mr. del Olmo was actually Dr. Donadio. The final scene would also reveal that she herself believes that something is really wrong with what is going on and that she may have a problem herself.
This would show that she is aware of the possibility that she has a problem.
Is she sane, on the other hand? Maybe. I believe that the movie provides adequate proof that Dr. Alvar isn’t all that nice of a guy and may be collaborating with Alice’s husband Heliodoro. This is something that we learn through the movie.
Who is to say that they haven’t planned this and that Dr. Donadio wasn’t the one who initially deceived Alice? Who can say for sure?
For me, the movie ends on a cliffhanger since we really don’t receive an answer to the question of whether or not the truth was presented to us, especially considering that we have seen a number of other situations that were similar to this one but did not turn out to be genuine.
God’s Crooked Lines (Netflix): Plot Synopsis
Throughout the course of the film God’s Crooked Lines, Alice does all in her power to persuade everyone—including the audience—that she is not actually a patient at the mental health center.
At first, she was an investigator who had been engaged by Raimundo Garcia del Olmo to look into the circumstances surrounding the death of his son, who had been a patient at the institute for a number of months prior to his death.
In the second segment of the film, Dr. Alvar, the head of the institute, disproves her claim by presenting her with the genuine Raimundo Garca del Olmo, a guy that Alice does not genuinely recognize.
After that point, Alice completely reevaluates her account of events and comes up with a different justification to back up her claims, which is precisely what her physician, Dr. Donado, concluded in his diagnosis of her condition.
As the film progresses, the viewer is constantly made aware that both accounts could be true; there is nothing that could definitively establish that one account is incorrect.
This continues right up until the very last scene, which is where the climactic plot twist occurs: after the medical council votes to discharge Alice, Dr. Alvar invites Dr. Donado in, and it is revealed that he is the one who brought Alice to the institute at the very beginning of the movie.
This is the final plot twist. This runs counter to what Alice has said, and we can see the terror on her face as she scrambles to come up with another reason for what has happened so that she doesn’t have to accept that she has a mental illness.
The movie comes to an end in that scene, which leaves, in fact, the interpretation open to both versions: the viewers could come to the conclusion that Alice is actually crazy and keeps inventing brilliant stories that justify the situation depicting her as a healthy person, or they could believe that she was framed, and there is an explanation for Donado’s appearance in the last frame (maybe he was paid to show up and prevent Alice from leaving the institute?).
Either way, the interpretation is left open to both versions. The question of where the truth lies is not addressed in the movie God’s Crooked Lines.
God’s Crooked Lines (Netflix): Cast Members
God’s Crooked Lines, also known as Los renglones torcidos de Dios, is a suspense movie that was directed by Oriol Paulo and starring Bárbara Lennie, Eduard Fernández, and Loreto Mauleón, in addition to a number of other actors and actresses.
The film is 155 minutes long and is based on the novel of the same name written by Torcuato Luca de Tena. The literature also has the same name.
God’s Crooked Lines (Netflix): Ending Explained!
God’s Crooked Lines (Netflix): Takeaway Of The Story
The song “God’s Crooked Lines” is a reference to the reality that there are people in the world who live in psychiatric institutions.
The majority of people in the world shun and avoid them, but the novelist has learnt from his own experiences that everyone has a narrative that should be heard and that needs to be uncovered. As a result, the purpose of the book is to restore the patients in mental institutions’ sense of dignity.
These patients are not only “mad people,” but rather unique persons who have a history and a collection of factors that contributed to their current conditions.
Through the medium of his work, de Tena extends an invitation to everyone to have an open mind and make an effort to get beneath the surface of what it is that we do not comprehend.
At the same time, the book serves as an homage to all of the individuals working in the medical field who have made it their life’s work to care for others without harboring any biases.